Cinco De Mayo Carrot Taco Shells
Fun fact! Cinco de Mayo is not actually Mexican Independence Day, as some people think. It is, in fact, a specific battle victory—the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Mexican Independence Day is on September 16th!
But as we all love any excuse to share food, drinks, and love, why not enjoy the festivities in a healthy fashion?
These carrot taco shells can also be used as tortillas or even the base for some delicious juevos rancheros tomorrow morning.
Yes, they have a little cheese and egg in them, so if you prefer a vegan , sub out the eggs for 1/4 c mashed tofu (or banana for a slightly sweet option) and nutritional yeast with a tablespoon of water for the cheese!
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot, packed (about 200 g) + 1/2 cup tap water to cook
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (full fat edam, mozarella or cheddar (75g)
- 2 eggs, size 6
- 3 tablespoon gluten free oat-flour
- Salt, pepper (if desired)
- Wash, peel and grate carrots.
- Place them into a bowl cover with tap water. Microwave 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the cooked grated carrots into a clean absorbent paper or towel.
- Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrot are dry. This is a very important step. If the carrots
- are too moist the tacos will not harden after baking.
- Place into a bowl and add the grated cheese, eggs, oat, salt and pepper.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Place small portion of the carrot mixture onto the prepared tray.
- Press to compact the carrot onto the tray.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
- Gently remove the carrot tacos from the baking paper by lifting them with your finger.
- Fill in with filling of your choice.
- You can also place them onto a bottle to form a taco like shape and avoid them to crack when used later. Use a
- small 500 ml bottle of water but any small bottle like beer bottles will work. The carrot tacos will harden
- slightly when cooling down.
So make ’em today, try ’em tomorrow and let us know how you like them the next day!
MORE TO EXPLORE
You Might Also Like
7 Ways Decluttering Can Transform Your Mental Well-being
Declutter your life and see your coaching and mental well-being take a great leap in positivity!Read More
15 Ways Coaches Cope with Stress in the Modern World
Coaches who know how to manage and handle their own stress are better equipped to help their clients with stress management.Read More
Everything You Want to Know before taking the NBHWC Certification Exam
Taking the NBHWC exam can be challenging and rough on the nerves. Here are some helpful tips to prepare for your upcoming exam!Read More
9 Health Coach-Approved Halloween Treats Your Clients Will Love
Holidays can be tricky when it comes to staying on top of health goals. We all want to enjoy ourselves—and we should!—but it can be easy to fall off track when there are sweet temptations lurking around every corner. Serve Your Clients Some Healthy Halloween Treats! With Halloween right around the corner, we want to […]Read More