Cinco De Mayo Carrot Taco Shells
Fun fact! Cinco de Mayo is not actually Mexican Independence Day, as some people think. It is, in fact, a specific battle victory—the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Mexican Independence Day is on September 16th!
But as we all love any excuse to share food, drinks, and love, why not enjoy the festivities in a healthy fashion?
These carrot taco shells can also be used as tortillas or even the base for some delicious juevos rancheros tomorrow morning.
Yes, they have a little cheese and egg in them, so if you prefer a vegan , sub out the eggs for 1/4 c mashed tofu (or banana for a slightly sweet option) and nutritional yeast with a tablespoon of water for the cheese!
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot, packed (about 200 g) + 1/2 cup tap water to cook
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (full fat edam, mozarella or cheddar (75g)
- 2 eggs, size 6
- 3 tablespoon gluten free oat-flour
- Salt, pepper (if desired)
- Wash, peel and grate carrots.
- Place them into a bowl cover with tap water. Microwave 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the cooked grated carrots into a clean absorbent paper or towel.
- Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrot are dry. This is a very important step. If the carrots
- are too moist the tacos will not harden after baking.
- Place into a bowl and add the grated cheese, eggs, oat, salt and pepper.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Place small portion of the carrot mixture onto the prepared tray.
- Press to compact the carrot onto the tray.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
- Gently remove the carrot tacos from the baking paper by lifting them with your finger.
- Fill in with filling of your choice.
- You can also place them onto a bottle to form a taco like shape and avoid them to crack when used later. Use a
- small 500 ml bottle of water but any small bottle like beer bottles will work. The carrot tacos will harden
- slightly when cooling down.
So make ’em today, try ’em tomorrow and let us know how you like them the next day!
MORE TO EXPLORE
You Might Also Like
Everything You Want to Know before taking the NBHWC Certification Exam
Becoming a National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC), also known as NBHWC Certification, should be part of your professional goals if you wish to stand out in the health and wellness coaching industry. It is a crucial first step to secure the right credentials and expand your career, especially in the healthcare industry. Having […]Read More
10 Must-Have Skills and Qualities to Become a Successful Health Coach
Successful health coaches are not simply defined by their achievements in the field but by the skills and qualities they embody. The appeal of becoming a health coach continues to rise given the relative increase in cases of patients with chronic diseases. Not to mention the rise in people who are paying close attention to […]Read More
5 Attributes Clients Look For In A Nutrition Coach
There is a clear interest in healthcare workers that concentrate on diet and wellness. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics noted a growth of 11% for occupations related to dietary management as a result of the rapid increase in chronic diseases that require nutrition regulation. This continuous trend influenced competition among nutritional coaches as their […]Read More
Profitable Health Coaching Business Roadmap: 7 Steps To Success
Becoming a health coach already holds plenty of benefits, not just in your career and financial progress, but most importantly in your holistic personal growth. Now, imagine these benefits multiplied when you build your very own health coaching business. However, as promising as this sounds, having your own health coaching business requires a hefty amount […]Read More