How To Turn Your Passion Into a Health Coaching Career
At Health Coach Institute, we firmly believe in “doing what you love”. But let’s be honest—a lot of people out there don’t love what they do.
While job satisfaction is on the upswing with more Americans than ever stating that they’re satisfied with their work, there’s still a lot of progress to be made.
Not surprisingly, the biggest link to overall workplace happiness is meaning. People need to feel like what they’re doing matters.
We think this is why more people than ever before are abandoning traditional jobs in favor of passion pursuits.
So what do you do if you’re ready to make a change and turn your passion into a viable Health Coaching career? And how do you make time to pursue your passion if you’re currently employed with bills to pay?
The great news is that it’s totally doable with a little research, planning, and dedication. Here are 7 steps to get started.
7 Key Steps to Launch Your Health Coaching Career
- Research Training Options. Before you can launch a career as a Health Coach, you’ll want to spend some time researching and comparing various Health Coach schools and programs to find the right fit for you. There are a lot of different programs out there (many of them online) and they can differ vastly, so don’t rush through this very important step! For help with the research phase, see our blog post 7 Considerations For Evaluating Health Coach Schools.
- Get Trained. Once you’ve decided on a credible professional training program that will give you the tools and knowledge to help others create lasting change in their lives, it’s time to get started. Training times can vary widely among programs, ranging from a few weeks to a year, but you can expect to spend 5-10 hours a week on average learning the art, science, and business of Health Coaching.
- Make the Time. Turning a passion into a career doesn’t happen overnight (as nice as that would be!), so it’s important to carve out dedicated time to invest in your future. We know it may feel a bit overwhelming (and daunting) at times trying to fit your training in—especially if you’re already working—which is why we created a handy download to help you reach your goal. Click here to grab your copy of 10 Tips to Pursue Your Passion Outside Your Day Job. It’ll help you make the best use of your free time so you make steady progress in the direction of your dreams.
- Clarify Your Niche & Target Client. Once you’ve completed your training, it’s time to clarify who you want to work with and what type of services you’ll want to offer your clients. So make sure to spend some time soul-searching and really figuring out your sweet spot (what will really bring you joy and fuel your passion).
- Scope Out Your Competition. Next, take a look at what competitors in your field are doing and give some thought as to how you’ll differentiate your services to stand out from the crowd. What new spin can you put on your services that your competitors aren’t doing? How can you inject your unique personality into your business to attract your ideal clients?
- Create a Business Plan. This is essentially a roadmap that will document your goals for your business and the strategies you’ll use to achieve them. Your business plan should include things like:
- An overview of your services
- Market analysis
- A snapshot of your target customers
- Marketing and sales tactics
- A financial plan
- Launch Your Business. Now it’s time to turn your dream into a reality and launch your Health Coaching career! Here’s a short list of actions to market your business and help spread the word about your new career:
- Buy a web domain and create a user-friendly and informative website that effectively engages your target customers and demonstrates how your products or services can solve their problem.
- Order business cards and share them with everyone you know.
- Create profiles for your business on relevant social channels and build a brand following.
- Get your business information listed in relevant directories.
- Network with people in your industry by attending seminars, workshops, tradeshows, and other industry functions. Join relevant online groups.
- Consider digital or print advertising to get your product or service in front of your target audience faster.
- Consider offering a free consultation to give prospective clients a taste of your coaching style and how you can help them.
We hope this post has inspired you to take action on those big dreams of yours and given you actionable tips to turn your passion into a Health Coaching career you’ll love. Don’t forget to grab your copy of 10 Tips To Pursue Your Passion Outside Your Day Job!
MORE TO EXPLORE
You Might Also Like
Everything You Want to Know before taking the NBHWC Certification Exam
Becoming a National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC), also known as NBHWC Certification, should be part of your professional goals if you wish to stand out in the health and wellness coaching industry. It is a crucial first step to secure the right credentials and expand your career, especially in the healthcare industry. Having […]Read More
10 Must-Have Skills and Qualities to Become a Successful Health Coach
Successful health coaches are not simply defined by their achievements in the field but by the skills and qualities they embody. The appeal of becoming a health coach continues to rise given the relative increase in cases of patients with chronic diseases. Not to mention the rise in people who are paying close attention to […]Read More
5 Attributes Clients Look For In A Nutrition Coach
There is a clear interest in healthcare workers that concentrate on diet and wellness. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics noted a growth of 11% for occupations related to dietary management as a result of the rapid increase in chronic diseases that require nutrition regulation. This continuous trend influenced competition among nutritional coaches as their […]Read More
Profitable Health Coaching Business Roadmap: 7 Steps To Success
Becoming a health coach already holds plenty of benefits, not just in your career and financial progress, but most importantly in your holistic personal growth. Now, imagine these benefits multiplied when you build your very own health coaching business. However, as promising as this sounds, having your own health coaching business requires a hefty amount […]Read More