Fun fact! Cinco de Mayo is not actually Mexican Independence Day, as some people think. It is, in fact, a specific battle victory—the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Mexican Independence Day is on September 16th!
But as we all love any excuse to share food, drinks, and love, why not enjoy the festivities in a healthy fashion?
These carrot taco shells can also be used as tortillas or even the base for some delicious juevos rancheros tomorrow morning.
Yes, they have a little cheese and egg in them, so if you prefer a vegan recipe, sub out the eggs for 1/4 c mashed tofu (or banana for a slightly sweet option) and nutritional yeast with a tablespoon of water for the cheese!
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot, packed (about 200 g) + 1/2 cup tap water to cook
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (full fat edam, mozarella or cheddar (75g)
- 2 eggs, size 6
- 3 tablespoon gluten free oat-flour
- Salt, pepper (if desired)
- Wash, peel and grate carrots.
- Place them into a bowl cover with tap water. Microwave 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the cooked grated carrots into a clean absorbent paper or towel.
- Firmly squeeze out the extra water until the grated carrot are dry. This is a very important step. If the carrots
- are too moist the tacos will not harden after baking.
- Place into a bowl and add the grated cheese, eggs, oat, salt and pepper.
- Prepare a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Place small portion of the carrot mixture onto the prepared tray.
- Press to compact the carrot onto the tray.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until crispy on the sides.
- Gently remove the carrot tacos from the baking paper by lifting them with your finger.
- Fill in with filling of your choice.
- You can also place them onto a bottle to form a taco like shape and avoid them to crack when used later. Use a
- small 500 ml bottle of water but any small bottle like beer bottles will work. The carrot tacos will harden
- slightly when cooling down.
Recipe via “Sweet As Honey” Blog: http://www.sweetashoney.co/carrot-taco-shells/
So make ’em today, try ’em tomorrow and let us know how you like them the next day!