Choosing to become ais an exciting, momentous decision. Becoming a has the power to change all aspects of your life, both professionally and personally—not to mention the impact you’ll have on the lives of your clients! A career as a will allow you to build a life of unparalleled freedom and give you the chance to use your passion for helping others every day.
If you’ve decided to pursue a career as a, the first step is to figure out what type of training will work best for you and the goals you have for your career. You’ll want to start off on the right foot by choosing the best possible training program.
There are a LOT of training programs out there and it can be overwhelming to try to make sense of everything on your own. That’s why we’ve created the checklist below. Use it to help you ensure the school you choose will adequately prepare you for a future in.
Checklist: What To Look For In a Life Coach Training School
- Does the curriculum cover everything? And we mean everything! When you become a , you want to be sure you’re prepared to help clients with all aspects of their lives and your training should provide you with the foundation to do just that. We encourage you to thoroughly vet every training program you’re considering to ensure that you’ll graduate with everything you need. This includes coaching training, habit change training, personal growth work, and business and marketing training. After all, you can be the best-trained coach in the world, but if you don’t have a clue how to market yourself or run a business, or aren’t willing to continually work on improving yourself, you won’t thrive.
- Are the instructors qualified? You’ll want to learn from the best. That means coaches who have actually been coaches and experienced solid career success in the real world. Find out who will be teaching each training you’re considering. If the instructors are seasoned and successful coaches in their own right, chances are good they’ll be able to prepare you for own professional success as a Life Coach.
- Is the school accredited? The International Coach Federation is the gold standard in coaching accreditation for training programs.
Selecting a program that has been accredited by the ICF is a great way to ensure that the program has undergone a rigorous vetting process and is top-notch. Accredited programs will provide you with the tools, training, and expertise you need to build a successful Life Coaching Career. Click here to learn more about what accreditation is and why you need it.
- Is hands-on learning included in the training? Being a means that you get up close and personal with real people, in the real world. You have to feel comfortable talking to clients, asking tough questions, and digging deep into their lives to help them make positive changes. A great training will prepare you to jump right into a career by allowing you to work with practice clients while you’re still in school. This invaluable training component will help you develop the skills and confidence to help others improve their lives.
- Is the school’s community supportive and accessible? As a student in a program, you’ll meet like-minded people who want to help clients transform their lives—just like you! A great community can completely transform your learning experience, taking you further than you might otherwise have been able to go on your own. Choose a school that allows you to interact with your peers and lets you have fun while you learn! Look for dynamic instructors who will candidly share everything they know—the good, the bad, and the ugly! This is especially important if you choose an online training program. The flexibility of an online training is amazing, but you’ll still want to select a training with a robust and engaged community so you can feel supported on your learning journey.
- Will you have access to support and resources? Adequate support is key as you train to become a . Choose a program that provides superior student support like frequent office hours, personal mentorship, group coaching calls, access to peers via a closed Facebook group or other communication platforms, in-person and virtual learning opportunities, and career services support. Support should also come in the form of a robust library of resources that will help you cement your knowledge and include tools you can use with clients (like coaching demos, templates, programs, homework for clients, etc.), as well as opportunities for continuing education in the field.
- What do grads say? A lot of schools have great marketing materials and look good on paper. But it’s important that you hear from students who have completed the program so you can get the inside scoop. Look for testimonials and reviews, watch videos with graduate interviews, and ask if it’s possible to speak directly with a grad. Be on the lookout for stories from grads detailing their client successes or personal transformations they’ve had as a result of their training.
- Is the school a good fit for YOU? One of the most important things for you to consider is what you’re looking for in a training. Consider how you learn best, what kind of flexibility you’re looking for, how a training will prepare you for the specific kind of career you want to launch, and any other factors that speak to you as an individual. A school could be really, really great, but if you don’t feel a connection to the program, the instructors, or the community, it might not be the best fit for you. Find a program that feels like HOME.
Interested in hearing how Health Coach Institute’s training program checks off all of these boxes? Connect with a Clarity Coach to learn more.
What Training To Be A Life Coach Is Really Like
So, what it’s really like to train to become a? In a word: life-changing.
Training to become a Life Coach will completely transform your life. Not only will you gain the skills you need to build a rewarding career helping others live their best lives, but you’ll also have the opportunity to focus on your own personal growth and development. You’ll become a student of the work in all areas of your life!
You can expect to spend an average of 5-10 hours a week on your studies. If you’re concerned about how to fit your training into your life, you might consider looking into online training options, which offer the flexibility and convenience to learn at your own pace, on your own schedule. We also have a ton of great information about how to make time to study in our blog post, How to Fit Your Life Coach Training Into Your Life.
Training to become awill be an exciting, fun, and at times, busy time in your life. The sweet reward? You’ll graduate with the skills and knowledge you need to create lasting change for yourself and others.
Interested in learning how ourprogram can set you up for future career success as a ?
Become a Health and Life Coach in 6 Months with Health Coach Institute
Coaching is a great career that you can help others, while also learning how to help your own personal growth. Health Coach Institute is a top health and wellness coaching certification program. Join our Become a Health Coach program and begin coaching in 6 months! If you are already a coach and want to advance your skills, check out HCI’s Coach Mastery program. Feel free to get in touch with with one of our clarity coaches directly, by calling 1-800-303-2399.