At HCI, we believe that kindness is one of the most powerful forces for change in the world. And science agrees! According to a study published in the Journal of Social Psychology, “performing kindness activities for seven days increases happiness.” It also found that the more acts of kindness participants performed, the happier they were.
Kindness is simple, takes very little effort, but creates a ripple effect for changes big and small. We’ve seen the power of that kindness create real change across our amazing community of coaches.
Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day, celebrated by the Random Acts of Kindness organization whose mission is to, “change schools, the workplace, families, and society through kindness.” This day kicks off an entire week dedicated to kindness!
At HCI, we’re celebrating all week! We want to help spread kindness by encouraging our community to commit 10,000 random acts of kindness all over the world.
That’s right—we’re aiming for 10,000 acts of kindness!
Use #HCIkindness to share your kindness act.
We want everyone involved from our students to our coaches to our HCI employees. The acts can be as big or as small as you like, as long as you do something for someone else to make them feel special.
And if you need some inspiration, we’ve created a list of 25 simple Acts of Kindness!
- Pay for someone’s coffee. Even better, get a pay-it-forward chain going!
- Give a stranger a compliment. You never know what someone is dealing with. A simple compliment or nice word could turn their day around!
- Leave money in a vending machine. Give someone a nice surprise when they go to buy a snack.
- Bake cookies for a neighbor. Whether you’re welcoming them to the neighborhood or just want to make them smile, everyone loves delicious treats!
- Send a thank you card. Letting someone know you appreciate them is always an easy way to brighten someone’s day.
- Leave an encouraging note on a public message board. Believe it or not, you can still find a public board in most grocery stores and even some coffee shops.
- Gather old blankets and pillows and donate to a shelter. If you have blankets that have seen better days, dog shelters are always looking for items to keep their animals extra comfortable.
- Leave an extra tip while out to eat. Servers work hard and giving them a little extra is an easy way to make their workday better.
- Compliment someone in a service industry about a job well done. Too often the people who cut our hair, find our size shoes in the back of the store or make our coffee go overlooked. Tell them you appreciate them!
- Donate used books to a school or library. It’s a great way to clear out your closets and recycle your stuff.
- Leave a glowing review of your favorite book online. Authors work really hard to bring their stories to life and they love good reviews—and it helps boost their sales! It will only take you a few minutes but will have a big impact.
- Give your time to visit with elderly residents at a nursing home.
- Sign up for a 5k run or walk for a good cause. It’s a great way to get a good workout in and support something that is important to you.
- Hand out water or snacks to people hard at work (police officers, utility workers, etc.). Sometimes it’s hard to take a break when you’re on the job and they’re often outside in bad weather.
- Cut a neighbor’s grass or pull weeds. Especially if they’re elderly, this could help relieve a lot of stress for them.
- Sign up for Amazon Smile so you’re shopping with a purpose. Amazon Smile has the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon, but when you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation donates 0.5% of the purchase price of certain eligible products to a charitable organization that you choose.
- Smile and say hello to a stranger. It’s the easiest way to make someone feel better. You never know who needs it!
- Tell someone you love why they’re important to you. We’re all guilty of taking the people we love for granted. Make it a point to let them know how important they are to you.
- Let someone cut in front of you in line. We’re all busy with places to go—take a second to let someone get ahead!
- Bring donuts or fresh fruit to the office or school. We spend a lot of time with co-workers and colleagues every day. Share a nice pick-me-up and make their morning brighter.
- Pick up litter. Imagine if we all took the time to pick up a few pieces of trash on the sidewalk around our communities!
- Tell your boss about someone who’s done a great job. We all like to be appreciated at work!
- Spread positivity online. Sometimes it’s easy to spread hate online and spend time disagreeing with other people. Take some time to leave nice comments and spread the love.
- Volunteer at a food bank. Charity organizations are always looking for extra help and it’s a great way to get involved in your community.
- While running errands, return a stray grocery cart. It’s something we should all be doing anyway.
After you’ve committed your act of kindness, come back and fill out the form below to tell us all about how you spread the love. We’ll be sharing some of our favorites on our social channels and encourage you to share as well using the hashtag #HCIkindness!
Here’s to being kind and changing the world!